Who We Help
The Edina Trust provides non-competitive, easy-to-access grants, for primary schools in certain areas of the UK, to be used to promote the teaching of science and gardening.
The Edina Trust is currently operating Science Grant Schemes in Belfast, Derry/Londonderry, Dumfries & Galloway, East Ayrshire, Hartlepool, Lincolnshire, Merthyr Tydfil, Middlesbrough, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Sunderland, and West Dunbartonshire.
The Edina Trust moved to a new location in March 2015, please visit the Contact Us page for further information.
What We Do
The Grant Schemes:Science Grant Scheme
We understand the frustrations of endless forms and complicated applications, especially for teachers, and so aim to provide a quick and simple application process, with the minimum amount of paperwork! This allows teachers the freedom to do what they want and to focus on the important thing: providing real opportunities and experiences for the children to understand the value of, and take part in, investigative science.
(For tips on filling out our application form click here).
Projects can include:
- Science Equipment
- Science Visits; both in and out of school
- Science Weeks; what better way to highlight the importance of science than with a hands-on, action packed week!
- Science Subscriptions; to provide help in making the science curriculum more relevant and exciting
- Gardening Resources; a great way to get children working outside
- Grounds for Science; to regenerate school grounds
Resources for TeachersTo help with ideas for projects, as well as information on what other teachers have planned and achieved:
- Lists of science providers in your area; places to visit and science workshops/outreach
- Examples of projects previously supported by the Trust and feedback from teachers
- Links to websites that can provide vital help for developing your schools garden, and
- Information on Educational Suppliers
Teacher's feedback on the science grant scheme...
"This is a truly wonderful scheme and we feel very privileged to be part of it"
"An excellent and helpful scheme which directly improves teaching and learning for children across all stages in the school"
"We could not have done this without the substantial funding recieved from the Edina Trust"
"The scheme is set up in a way which enabled all learners in our school and nursery community to benefit from the resources purchased, thank you!"
"Unlike other grant applications I have been involved with which were cumbersome, I was able to direct my time and effort towards the project which ultimately was of more benefit to the children."
"The scheme has been my main source of science resources for this year and has had the greatest impact on science in years."